Monday, October 9, 2017

Under Construction


Under Construction

A major frustration living in a first world country is the constant need for infrastructure repair. Where I live, there has been one road construction project after another. At first it was just fighting traffic driving from one end of town to the other. Now there is no direct route to wherever I want to go because roads are closed due to upgrading sewer, water and road surface.

I know this sounds like complaining and it is! Our local, state and federal tax dollars are at work making a five-minute drive into a half hour around construction. I am not upset with those who labor on these projects but I am perplexed at why one section of road has to be dug up and then dug up again and even in some cases a third time. Then there is the issue of ruts big enough to get a semi stuck that jars my teeth every time I drive over them.

In developing nations, I visited you rarely find signs that say, “road under construction.” Their paved roads are full of pot holes simply because of neglect. In fact, the dirt roads provide a smoother ride because most traffic is two or four footed. In Africa, we spent most of our drive time on the shoulder of the road because the pavement was so torn up.

I know we have the best road system in the world and that it demands constant maintenance. Just take a summer drive on any Interstate and you will experience mile after mile of one lane road construction. I need to keep perspective here. Everything worthwhile needs upkeep and periodic maintenance, even this old body of mine.

I am reminded of the words of Paul when he greeted the saints in Philippi. “I am sure that the good work God began in you will continue until he completes it on the day when Jesus Christ comes again.”

I hope the road He travels won’t be held up because of construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment