Monday, April 26, 2021

Chores

 

Chores

 

Taking the full garbage bag from underneath the sink out to the garbage can in the garage, I was struck by the thought that I’ve been doing this for seventy some years. Why that random thought? Well, some of the things I do, I do on auto pilot. The daily routine of household chores is an integral part of my life.

 

As I write these words, I hear my mother’s commanding voice, “Daniel, how many times do I have to tell you. Take out the garbage!” Not that doing it took such exertion. It was such a bother to be told you had to do this or else. Little did I realize that the routine of garbage handling was a building block of my character.

 

The truth is I continue to do many of the chores from childhood. Cleaning up after myself, hauling my dirty clothes from the bathroom to the laundry room, making the bed, hanging up my clothes, clearing dishes from the dining room table and putting them in the dishwasher to name a few.

 

Yard work chores haven’t changed much either. Even though we live in an HOA community, I am still raking the lawn, hand mowing a small patch of grass by the patio, trimming the hedge and my favorite: picking up dog poop. All those domestic skills I learned as a child under the watchful eyes of my parents.

 

Although I tried to pass the discipline of chores unto my children, I don’t know how successful I’ve been. Nobody seems interested in picking up dog poop anymore. When the grandkids come over for a visit, I invite them to help me in this yard chore, but I get no takers. I wonder what their back yard looks like.

 

A big thanks to mom and dad for teaching me the discipline of daily domestic chores. Those daily jobs are no longer chores. They are integral part of life. I have to say, my wife and dog are grateful. What else can one ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment