Monday, April 12, 2021

Meds

 

Meds

 

My father was a doctor. Growing up, I was exposed to things medical. From dinner conversations to seeing my father despair over the loss of a patient, medicine was part of life. On more than one occasion I tried to fool my father so I wouldn’t have to go to school. He would say “take two aspirin and we’ll see how you are in the morning.” I couldn’t outsmart the resident doctor just because I wanted to play hooky.

 

This morning in the middle of my ablutions, I opened the medicine cabinet above the bathroom sink and was shocked at the rows accumulated medicine bottles. Being in rather good health, I only take a few prescriptions. I have shelves of half empty plastic pill containers. A reminder of less healthy days. A wakeup call that life is fleeting and there are no meds to keep me from the inevitable.

 

As I stared at those potions of medical marvel, a verse from the Mary Poppins movie ran through my mind: “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way.” I chuckled recalling that I inherited my mother’s sweet tooth. I don’t take my meds with sugar but I am not opposed to the idea.

 

I am thankful for the medications prescribed by my physician. Taking them are part of my daily routine. Alongside daily exercise, healthy relationships and a spoon full of sugar, I’m in good shape for the shape I’m in.

 

A word of wisdom from the Old Testament book of Proverbs: “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.”

 

It’s time to clean out the medicine cabinet and find some sweets!

No comments:

Post a Comment