Monday, April 19, 2021

Smart Phone

 

Smart Phone

 

How did I survive without one? I’m old enough to remember life before technology birthed this handheld instrument that transformed the way the world communicates. The ugly black desk phone with a rotary dial morphed into the sleek princess with push button dialing. It even came in assorted colors. Now they are relics in the antique store.

 

My issue with a smart phone is that it’s smarter than me. Owning one assumes I have more grey matter than all those little connections on the circuit board. The learning curve to operate one is an experience. It is humbling to ask my grandchildren to show me how to download or delete an app. They look at you and in a blink of an eye they’ve got it. What is intuitive to them is mind boggling to me.

 

Now I have numerous apps. In order to be a techy hospital and hospice chaplain I need a minimum of five apps. More include: Mail, Facebook, Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Microsoft Word, Calendar, Camera, Photos, Bank, Social Chess. I can’t forget the app for my hearing aids that function as a hand’s free device. Life has become a touch screen ritual in staying connected.

 

Here’s a short poem that says it all: Ode To Cell Phones

 

Cell phone, oh cell phone. With all your smart little keys, bright light screens and caller ID, I can take you wherever I please….

 

Cell phone, oh cell phone. With you, I am on time. Dates, clock, calendar and alarms and the list can go on.

 

Cell phone, oh cell phone. Entertainment is your job. Music, pictures, videos and more, with you, nothing is a bore.

 

Cell phone, oh cell phone. I need you for sure. Without you I would be lost even more.  (Anonymous)

 

The question is: What happens when the electricity goes out?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment