Monday, April 5, 2021

Obituaries

 

Obituaries

 

It was my father who encouraged me to read obituaries in the newspaper. I know this sounds rather morbid. At first, I couldn’t figure out why he would suggest that I pay attention to the death list. Reading about people who are no longer alive is not my idea of entertainment. Little did I realize that his suggestion would introduce me to an essential fact of life, death.

 

You can find the obits in your local paper. They are listed after letters to the editor and just before the sports section. Some are short with just basic facts while other take up several columns including a photo of the deceased in better days. It’s expensive to have an obituary printed in the newspaper. Editors have found a never ending source of income in death announcements.

 

One thing stands out about obituaries: they never say anything bad about a person. Not that they should but to read some you would think that the deceased was one step short of sainthood. It makes you wonder what this person was really like. I remember reading an obit of an old acquaintance feeling ashamed that I had such a different opinion of him in life.

 

It’s Easter week. Reading the gospel account of the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus, I’m reminded there is more to life than an honorable mention in the obituaries. An angel at the tomb told the women “Why are you looking for Jesus among the dead? He is risen!”

 

We sang this chorus at church on Easter Sunday: “Jesus is alive and well! Jesus is alive and well! Tell everyone you see, tell them for me. Jesus is alive and well.”

 

Good News that should be on the front page.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment