Monday, November 3, 2014

God's Office

God's Office

I am very familiar with the principal's office. During my academic years, grade school through seminary, I spend a lot of time trying to explain my behavior to the powers that be. Since I was the oldest of eight children, I was the one who paved the way for the other seven. That accounts for some of my issues, but to say it straight I was a rebel.

In grade school, I was the class clown with a bad attitude. After repeated trips to the principal's office, my father canceled his appointments and came to the school to apply behavior modification to my back side! Even that had little effect on my attitude. Finally I was kicked out of the school.

By the time I arrived at seminary, I learned to curtail my temperament somewhat. Since my goal was to be "a man after God's own heart," I tried real hard to be a compliant student. At the end of my second year, I was called into Rector's (principal's) office and told that my attitude was not fit for the priesthood and don't come back. That was a blow to my pride, but I didn't let it stop me from returning in the fall.  Nothing more was said.

Looking back on those years, I see that behavior modification was not the issue. The real issue was heart attitude. I did not understand that God was after my heart; a heart that needed a transplant. My rebel heart was in need of serious time in the Principal's office.

This past week I found a quote: " God's office is at the end of your rope." I can't tell you how many times I have been at the end of my rope. Trying to be a good man, a good pastor, a good husband, a good father, a good friend has really stretched my rope. My faults, my failures, my rebel heart are the very things that bring me to the Father's office.

The Bible says: "Jesus learned obedience from the things which he suffered." That tells me that Jesus was familiar with being at the end of his rope and needing time in the Father's office. I have a great Father who desires to help me face the fact that I can't go it alone. Daily, I need time in his office.







No comments:

Post a Comment