Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Day My Dad Died


The Day My Dad Died
 I was in Mexico on a mission trip when my brother called to tell me to come home as soon as possible because Dad was dying. We were scheduled to be home the following evening. I prayed I would make it in time.
Dad was 83 and near the end of a long battle with prostate cancer. The doctors told him there was nothing more that medicine could do. Being a doctor himself, he knew that his life was ending. Hospice was called and the long wait began. Since he was given several weeks to live, I was confident that I would be home from Mexico before he died.
When I arrived at my parents’ home, I saw that his continence had changed dramatically. As our family gathered around his deathbed, I prayed that the Lord would take him quickly so he would not have to suffer. Dad asked me when Jesus was coming to take him home. Chocking away tears I said he would be coming soon.
The following evening the Lord came and took Dad home. Just as he was breathing his last I heard him whisper, “I can see him. He is coming.” He leaned forward a little trying to lift his arms in greeting and died. I am not sure my siblings or my Mom heard what he said but I did.
The next day, my sister Patty and I went to make funeral arrangements. I mentioned to the pastor that my Dad wanted me to be a part of his funeral service. Since I was a former Catholic priest, I knew that was probably not going to happen. Surprisingly the priest asked if I would like to preach at my Dad’s funeral. 
As part of my sermon, I shared an experience I had with my Dad several years before. One day while we were out for a walk, our conversation turned toward religion as it sometimes did. I asked my Dad if he knew Jesus as a person and not as a religion. He said no. I asked if he would like to know Jesus personally. He said yes he would. There we were, father and son, talking about God in a way I never dreamed. We prayed and he gave his life to Jesus. We both wept. As I shared this story it was obvious people were touched.
As the 12th anniversary of his death approaches, I am blessed to have had that experience with my Dad. I know that there is a day coming when I will see him again. How can I be so sure? Because Jesus says:
“I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all. Do you believe this?”  John 11.25-26 Message
I do!
                                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment