Monday, February 2, 2015

Hoping Against Hope


Hoping Against Hope
Have you ever felt hopeless? Ever had that sickening feeling that disaster is about to strike and there is nothing you can do to avoid it? You look around for help and everybody else seems unaware of your problem. Doesn’t anybody care?
Years ago we moved to Montana to start a church. It was a big step of faith to take my family from a large metro area to a small western town. I believed God was leading us. Judy and the kids were apprehensive. It being the Christmas season added more anxiety. We made the move and the church started to grow.
Some time later, I began doubting whether I had heard God right. It was a little late to second-guess myself but fear started to creep in. My confidence both at church and at home began to waver. What was I thinking? I wasn’t trained to start a church from scratch. I was way over my head and way out of my comfort zone.
Judy suggested I get away for a few days and pull myself together. A friend offered his secluded lake cabin. I had never done anything like that before. Leaving responsibilities behind, I set out to hear God, scary to say the least!
Shortly after arriving, I grabbed my Bible and sat out on the deck. Flipping it open and glancing down I saw these words: “When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live not on the basis of what he saw he could not do but on what God said he would do…he plunged into the promise and came up strong, ready for God, sure that God would make good on what He said.”
It felt like I was having a blood transfusion: my tired blood exchanged for hope-enriched blood. I could feel the weight of hopelessness falling off. Slowly my mental wheels started to focus on what God had promised. From that day I began the journey of learning the discipline to stay focused on what God will do and not on what I can’t do. My job is to hope against hope. That is work enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment