Monday, February 16, 2015

The Porch of Rebellion


The Porch of Rebellion
For nine years we lived in Havre. Havre, located on the Hi Line in northern Montana, is about 45 miles from the Canadian border. Moving from the big city to a small, rural western town was an adjustment. We lived in a rental house about a year before purchasing our first home. Our reason for moving there was to start a new church.
The Lord was gracious in providing the down payment. It was a lovely home built in the mid 60’s with enough room for our family. Our new home was located on Juniper Street, near the schools and a city park. We could not have asked for a better home. There was only one problem, no front porch.
Judy had it in her mind that our home needed a front porch. It would be a place where we could sit on summer evenings and relax. I couldn’t see how it was possible to add a porch in such a small yard with two big fir trees taking up most of the space. Like many marriage disagreements, the porch became a sore point in our relationship. I didn’t want it and she did. Throw the cost of construction into the discussion and well, you can guess the rest.
It so happened that the next spring, I was out of town on a business trip. When I returned, there was a small porch addition next to the front door. It was well constructed and painted the color of the house. Actually it looked very nice. When I asked Judy how the porch got there, she told me that she contracted with one of the men from our church. He built the porch in two days and she painted it. Did I have any other questions?
 She went ahead and did what she wanted with the expectation that I would be excited about our new porch. Being a man of God and the head of our household, what could I say? I just refused to sit out there! After a time, realizing that wasn’t working, I confessed to her that it was a beautiful addition to our home. We did spend many a summer evening there.
By the way, the porch of rebellion is still standing. You can drive down Juniper Drive and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment