Monday, April 6, 2015

The Privilege To Fail


The Privilege To Fail
Recently I read a book entitled Fail by J.R. Briggs. Since I have a wealth of experience in failure, I decided to give it a read. To my surprise, the book was my life history. He shared not only his failures in the ministry but also recorded the stories of other men and women who experienced failure and disappointment.
He shared these facts:
1-   1,500 pastors leave the ministry every month because of burnout
2-   50 percent of pastors marriages end in divorce
3-   80 percent of pastors experience on the job discouragement
4-   70 percent of pastors say they don’t have a close friend
By the time I finished the book, I realized two important things: 1) that failure and discouragement go hand in hand with the pastoral ministry (as well as life in general), and 2) failure is a great teacher. I especially like this quote from the author, “Failure is a beautiful gift wrapped in an ugly package.”
As I look back on my years of pastoral ministry, I can easily relive the heartbreak and pain of my failures. For a long time, I let that pain drag me into the sinkhole of guilt and shame. That inner voice was a constant reminder that I was not measuring up. It was only by wise counsel and encouragement from people who earned the right to speak into my life, that I began to understand the privilege of failure.
My pastoral successes pale in comparison to the spiritual and emotional growth I experience by my failures. By God’s grace, those scars are reminders that life comes at the cost of knowing my limitations. Learning to walk with God requires availability not ability.
Jesus says: “I’ve told you all of this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.”



No comments:

Post a Comment