Monday, March 30, 2015

My Coconut Tree


My Coconut Tree
This may sound a little crazy but I have my own coconut tree. Well, I don’t have it here in Montana. It’s out “in the bush” in Kenya, East Africa. Here’s the story about my coconut tree.
I have travelled to Africa five times over the past ten years. The purpose of these visits was to build relationships. Through a pastor in our church network, I met Bishop Josphat who along with a team of pastors cares for over one hundred churches in Kenya. He invited me to come and see what God was doing there.
On my first trip, I was invited to speak at a pastor’s conference in Mombasa, Kenya. Even though I enjoyed my time at the conference, it was accepting an invitation to preach on Sunday morning at a church out “in the bush” that was most challenging. The people of Little Roca, a small congregation deep in the jungle, met in a barn with a dirt floor and half a roof. With no electricity, I used my loud voice to preach the Gospel.
At the end of the service, the pastor thanked me for my sermon that was translated by my guide into Swahili. As a gift I was presented with a large, living duck. I was shocked and wondered what I was going to do with it. My guide put it into the trunk of the car to bring back home for supper. After a meal cooked over an open fire, I was presented with a second gift.
The village elders showed me a hole dug in the ground and explained that they were planting a coconut tree in my honor. I took the young tree, placed it in the hole and filled the hole with dirt. One of the elders took a plaque with my name written on it and attached it to the tree. Although I have not returned to Little Roca, I am told that the coconut tree continues to stand tall and bear good fruit.
Most likely, I will never see my coconut tree again or taste its fruit. But just knowing I have one is good enough. The Bible says, “…a God shaped life is a flourishing tree… a good life is a fruit bearing tree….” Amen to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment