Monday, January 11, 2016

Abigail


Abigail
It is a privilege of grandparents to brag about their grandchildren. Maybe it’s because we don’t have to do much but love them and spoil them that makes bragging easier. In any case, I want to tell you about our first grandchild, Abigail.
This past week Abigail turned eight. Her parents, siblings and grandparents celebrated her birthday at Fuddruckers’s. In the midst of all the noise, food and presents, I saw that Abby was growing up and already turning into a young woman. One of her birthday presents was having her ears pierced. I realized this was another milestone. It won’t be that long before she drives a car, graduates from high school and falls in love.
I don’t think she knows yet that her namesake is a famous woman in the Bible. The story can be found in the Old Testament book of 1 Samuel 25. There was a beautiful woman named Abigail who was married to a man named Nabal. In Hebrew Abigail means, “cause of joy” and Nabal means, “fool.” You will have to get your Bible out and read the story to find out why Abigail is one of the most revered women in Scripture.
The reason I mention the Abigail of old is a poem that Abby wrote. I think it was a homework assignment from school. I any case I believe it gives us a glimpse into the heart of the true Abigail. The title is “What Is Abby?”
“Abby is turquoise, Like the shinning moon, Bright on the lake at night.
     Abby is like ice cream on a stick.
         Abby is like snow, Landing on a nose.
             Abby is kind as dolphins.
                 Abby is like Tinker Bell.

I got bragging rights on this Abigail!


No comments:

Post a Comment