Monday, January 25, 2016

Mangy Moose


Mangy Moose
There has been some question among my faithful blog readers on how I chose the name “Mangy Moose.” So I decided that I would explain the “why” of this name and my fascination with moose. Let me say that this blog title was not my first choice. I wanted to use “Dan The Man” but somebody out there in cyberspace got there before me.
The name “mangy moose” was my creation as a CB handle when we ran a ski lodge near Bozeman, Montana. This was the time before cell phones, smart phones or the Internet. The only way to communicate with Judy while I was in the truck plowing snow, running to town to pick up guests or supplies was by CB. That is the name I chose and it has stuck with me ever since. The 1050 part is our current street address. Thus ends the mystery.
I do confess a fascination with moose. Living here in the mountain west, the moose is a fairly familiar sight. In the winter, if you drive up to Big Sky and stop to shop at the Meadow Village, often you can see a cow moose and her young one roaming the sidewalks. Several weeks ago there was a report of a bull moose wandering around the neighborhoods of a small community near Bozeman.
Moose are majestic animals. They are very large and very unpredictable. They like wooded marshland and tend to be loners. I have seen them up close and heard lots of stories about hunters being cornered in a tree by an angry moose. They are to revered and feared!
Here is Advice from a Moose I found on a birthday card I sent my son in law recently:
Think Big. Spend time in the woods. Eat plenty of green. Hold your head up high. Stay on track. Keep your nose clean. It’s ok to be a little wild!
Good advice coming from one of God’s unique creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment