Monday, July 4, 2016

Fences


Fences
Recently I helped my son Tim build a fence to enclose a backyard. The owners had started the project by setting the posts but decided that it was beyond their skill level to complete. When I arrived on the scene, the job looked ominous because the posts were not set correctly. As we screwed on the boards you could easily see the horizontal and vertical bends over the length of the fence. When completed we dubbed it the Wave Fence.
Fences are so commonplace that we hardly take any notice of them. Out here in the rural West most fences are barbed wire with some split rail and jack fences thrown in. In different parts of the country fence styles change: bamboo, chain link, wrought iron, electric, vinyl, picket, pig wire, and many more. When I was in Great Britain, many of the rural fences were made of fieldstone.
Why all the fuss about fences? Well, while I was helping Tim with the wave fence I kept thinking about a poem I read long ago by Robert Frost. At the time all I could recall was that it was about a dispute he had with a neighbor over the need for a fence. Looking around the subdivision where we stood I saw  backyard fences of all designs. I wondered what people were trying to fence in and what they were trying to fence out.
Here’s a little of Robert Frost’s “Mending Wall”: “Something there is that doesn’t love a wall….I let my neighbor know beyond the hill and on a day we meet to walk the line….He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors’…Why do they make good neighbors?...Before I build a wall I’d ask to know what I was walling in or walling out and to whom I was like to give offence. Something there is that doesn’t love a wall, that wants it down.”
Instead of building a neighborhood of families, it appears we are building a neighborhood of fences. I hope Robert Frost will forgive me for butchering his poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment