Monday, August 15, 2016

Birthdays


Birthdays

I remember my Grandmother saying, “When you get as old as I am, birthdays don't mean much anymore.” She said that when she was in her late 80’s. I am beginning to understand what she meant. The older I get the less important the actual event becomes. Some may think different.

I write this shortly before my 72nd birthday but not publishing this blog until later. Why? Because I am kind of a private person and all those “Happy Birthday” greetings on Facebook scare me. Everybody knows that I am getting old so why remind me. Actually I do like to privately celebrate my birthday with family around. I like my grandkids birthdays the best. They are young enough to enjoy the magic. The anticipation of a party with gifts, cake and lots of attention are an affirmation of life and love.

Judy and I were married on my birthday. That was 41 years ago. I remember the argument we had about whether this was a good idea (not getting married but doing so on my birthday). The plus for me was that I would never forget our anniversary even if it was often overshadowed by my birthday. So at this advanced age, I am shifting my attention from birthday to anniversary; the more of those the better.

I conclude with a birthday song that I heard as a child on the Lunch with Casey Jones TV show back in the ‘50s. It still comes to me every August 2nd: “Happy, Happy birthday to every girl and boy. Hope this very special day brings you lots of joy. Hope the birthday presents you get from Mom and Dad will make this very special day the best you ever had.”

Happy Birthday to me!



No comments:

Post a Comment