Monday, August 8, 2016

Garden of Mountains


Garden of Mountains

On a clear day, flying out of Bozeman, I get a panorama view of the Montana landscape. Mountaintops covered in snow, valleys shadowed in pines, swift running rivers and open prairies are a smorgasbord for the eyes. I never tire of this unique picture of the world where I live.

Over forty years ago, Judy and I made our first trip to Montana. We applied to run a ski lodge just north of Bozeman. The company that owned the lodge flew us out to see firsthand what we were getting into before we signed on the dotted line. At that time air travel was a rare experience for us.

Flying west we saw the lakes of northern Minnesota and the prairies of North Dakota and eastern Montana. Then came the mountains, snow-capped reaching for the sky. We had never seen so many mountains. Looking out the window I distinctly remember Judy saying, “Look, it's a garden of mountains.” Sure enough, as far as the eye could see, there were the Rocky Mountains. There isn't a time when flying that I don’t look and remember that we live in the center of a garden of mountains.

Mountains play an important role in the Bible. God created the mountains: he meets with people on mountains; and the holy city Jerusalem is built on a mountain. My favorite mountain Bible verse comes from Psalms 121: “I look up to the mountains; does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never sleeps or slumbers.”

How great is our God who made Gardens of Mountains.





No comments:

Post a Comment