Monday, November 21, 2016

Bills


Bills

Ever had more bills at the end of the month than money? I'm sure I am not the only one who found themselves in the red. Having raised a family on a pastor’s salary involved not only aggressive penny pinching but on occasional miracle or two. Mortgage payments, car payments, groceries, doctor and dentist bills are but a few in a long list of monthly bills. I am not complaining just observing the reality of the bills.

What brought this to mind was a little blurb I read on Facebook. Asking the question: “What’s you favorite childhood memory?” The response was: “Not paying bills.” I remembered that there was a time in my life when I didn't have to worry about those monthly payments. Financial responsibility must be a sign of maturity.

Some years ago I preached a sermon entitled “The Blessings of Debt.” Usually I don't get much feedback on my sermons. That Sunday I got a lot of feedback; most of it negative. I was told that being a Christian I had the responsibility to stay out of debt “owing no man.” Although I agree that debt is to be avoided, most people find themselves at one time or another in debt. The point of my teaching was to encourage debtors that God doesn't hold that against them and that He has some life lessons to teach while making the payments.

My father was a font of practical wisdom. As I matured, I found myself drawing from his wisdom. On one occasion I approached him for financial advice. The church I was pastoring was behind in paying my salary and there wasn't much left in my bank account. In addition to floating me a short-term loan, he said: “If you have money problems, you really don't have a problem. When there is blood on the floor that's when you have a problem.” Those were wise words that gave me a healthy perspective.

Here's what Jesus says about money worries: “What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. Steep your life in God reality, God initiative, God provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.”

Good advise. I haven't missed a meal yet!









No comments:

Post a Comment