Monday, November 14, 2016

Steadfast


Steadfast

The world I live in today is not the world of my youth. Technology has not only quickened the pace of change, it has redefined change itself. Lest I be criticized for being an old foggy who yearns for the past, let me reassure you that I relish almost all of what modern technology has created. The horizon of my creature comforts is greatly expanded.

The problem I am faced with is the realization of my addiction to change. I find myself less and less satisfied with what I have and an increasing craving for the new. Whether it is my hunger for a new cell phone, computer, TV, or truck, it's the new that's got me hooked. I think I need some old fashioned counseling.

Then I come across this word “steadfast.” I don’t hear it in everyday conversation. If fact the only place I find it is in the Bible. I looked it up in the dictionary. It means fixed firmly in place, immovable, not subject to change. This word comes from an old English word meaning “fixed fast.” What a contrast to the world of change I live in.

Whenever I find myself teetering between the infatuation with all the new stuff our world has to offer and the need for stability in my life, I am reminded of these words from the Bible: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. So do not be attracted by strange, new ideas.”

Here’s a song we sing at church that keeps me grounded in the reality of the Father’s love. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning, new every morning. Great is your faithfulness O Lord. Great is your faithfulness.”

Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment