Monday, February 13, 2017

Certified Mail


Certified Mail

I was working at my desk shortly before Christmas when the doorbell rang. It was the mail lady who had a certified letter for me to sign. It isn't often that I get certified letters. In fact they scare me because I immediately think someone is after me and the only way to get me is if I sign for their summons. A little paranoia I agree but these days you can't be too careful.

I confess that I was curious as to who was sending me a certified letter. Sitting down, I opened it to find that the Church Pension Fund of the Episcopal Church was notifying me that I was eligible for a pension. To say the least, I was shocked. Many years ago, when I left this denomination where I served as a priest, I was told that I would forfeit my pension since I had not served long enough to be fully vested. Being young and somewhat naïve, it was a small price to pay for my freedom.

Once I got over the shock, I emailed their office asking if this was for real and if so what did I have to do to start receiving my pension. Several weeks later I received a packet via Fed Ex, which contained numerous forms to be filled out and returned to their office. I still was a little suspicious that I was actually going to receive some money. I was told that payment would start once the papers were processed.

I shared this unexpected news with several friends. They were excited that such a blessing was coming my way. In the course of our discussion I learned that those monies that were taken out of my monthly pay check while I was a priest and put toward my pension was actually my money. By law, when I reached retirement age, that money was to be returned to me in monthly payments. That made sense.

I don't believe the Psalmist had my good news in mind when he penned these words but I certainly make the connection. “Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.”

 I have yet to receive a certified letter from Rome.




No comments:

Post a Comment