Monday, February 6, 2017

Cruciverbalist


Cruciverbalist

I don't remember when it first began. It must have been a time in my life when I was in dire need of a distraction from the harsh realities of everyday life. Whenever it was, a habit was formed that is almost impossible to kick. My early morning routine consists of a cup of coffee, Bible reading, the local newspaper and the crossword puzzle.

A cruciverbalist is one who is skillful in creating or solving crossword puzzles. Since I don't have a clue how to create a puzzle and certainly not proficient as solving one, I refer to myself as a frustrated crossword puzzle solver. The word cruciverbalist comes from two Latin words: crux (cross) and verbum (word), a fancy name for a masochistic pastime.

I started my crossword obsession with the rather simple daily puzzle in the newspaper. After lots of cheating (looking at the answers printed on the next page), I got the hang of it. Most days I was unable to complete the puzzle but every once in a while I did. What a sense of accomplishment. Since then I have moved on to the LA puzzle and the ones you find on the Internet. Basically the same results.

My excuse for working the daily puzzle is that it stimulates my mind. Finding that four-letter word for “desert” that starts with the letter “A” gets my brain working.  I have read several articles that suggest working the puzzle on a regular basis helps keep senility and even Alzheimer's at bay. I hope that prognosis is not dependent upon correct answers.


I don't think the writer of the Old Testament book of Proverbs had crossword puzzles in mind when he penned this verse but it's hard to fault its application. “A man has joy in an apt answer, and how delightful is a timely word.” My new mantra as I ponder the complexity of the crossword puzzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment