Monday, August 21, 2017

Paraprosdokian


Paraprosdokian

If you frequently read my blogs, you know that I like strange words. It must have something to do with classical education and my preaching vocation. Although I had several years of Latin, I am not proficient in it. Because the Bible, as we have it, is a translation from the Hebrew and Greek, I have an academic familiarity with both. That plus an addiction to crossword puzzles should explain my fascination with obscure words.

Paraprosdokian is a combination of two Greek words meaning “contrary to expectation.” A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and frequently humorous. This is a favorite ploy of comedians and people who cultivate a refined sense of humor.

Here are a few examples:
·      Where there is a will, I want to be in it.
·      The last thing I want to do is hurt you…but it’s still on my list.
·      I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
·      I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not sure.
·      You’re never too old to learn somethings stupid.
·      If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
·      I don’t belong to an organized political party, I’m a Democrat. (Will Rogers)

I think life is tough enough but when you can’t laugh at a quick turn of a phrase you might be in need of a therapist. The Bible reminds us that laughter is good for the soul and that’s from a good book that’s got lots of serious stuff in it. I like a quick turn of a phrase because it catches me off guard and tickles my funny bone.

There is a small plaque in our guest bathroom that I frequently ponder on my visits there. It reads “Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.” I think that’s a paraprosdokian!

No comments:

Post a Comment