Monday, July 9, 2018

Laundry


Laundry

Recently, I overheard a conversation at a coffee shop that surprised me. One gentleman boasted that every Monday morning his washed and folded clothes magically appeared at the foot of his bed. To the amazement of his coffee drinking buddies, he sang praises of his wife who lovingly served him in this way. That is not the normal coffee klatch conversation I hear.

That started me thinking about how I thought about my wife who washes all my dirty clothes. Usually it is me complaining about what happened to my new golf shirt that got tossed into the laundry basket last week. Or how about that nice pair of wash and wear slacks that the dog is using as a blanket in the laundry room. Why is it that I have more and more unmatched socks coming out of the dryer?

The few times I had to wash my own clothes I was at a loss as how to run that washing machine. I look at those dials and they make no sense to me. I know a little about the dryer but that is only because I have to dive in there every once in a while to find some apparel. And why are there tennis balls in the dryer?

When our kids were small, there were piles and piles of dirty clothes on the laundry room floor. The machines were running 24 – 7 but the piles never got any smaller. By now you can see that I have little appreciation for all the work my wife does in the laundry room. I am like the guy in the coffee shop who is constantly amazed that his clean clothes show up on Monday morning.

Before my readers start writing nasty comments in response to this blog, I want to confess my sin.  Here in print, I repent of my chauvinistic attitude and thankfully sing the praises of my wife for her faithful and undying service of love to me. I have never gone without clean clothes. She has always found a match for my socks and made sure that I don’t leave the house wrinkled.

Ok guys, let’s give a big “shout out” for the ladies in our lives who serve us in so many ways that we take for granted. And Lord can you design a washing machine that is easier for a man like myself to operate?

1 comment: