Monday, October 1, 2018

Candy Bar


Candy Bar

Now this is a topic where I have some expertise. In previous blogs I mentioned that I have an on-going addiction to all things sweet. Often I have tried to kick the habit but to no avail. I have a recurring excuse to indulge no matter the consequences.

What brought this to mind was what I found in my winter coat the other day. It was cold outside, so I grabbed a heavier jacket. As I reached into the pocket for my gloves I found a Salted Nut Roll. When I put this coat away last spring, I didn’t realize a candy bar was left there. It’s a good thing that roll of sugar and nuts has a twenty-year shelf life.

That discovery made me think again about my addiction. So, I started a list of my favorite candy bars thinking that if I would come clean on my sugar sin, I could be set free. As I began to compile this list just the opposite happened. My mouth started salivating so I headed out to my truck where a keep a stash of Salted Nut Rolls in the jockey box. Sad!

For what it’s worth here is the list I had hoped would bring me freedom: Nut Goodies, Hersey’s Chocolate, Kit Katz, Babe Ruth, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, Butterfingers, Mounds Bar, Nestle Crunch, Twix and Mr. Goodbar.  Wow! Each one of those has a minimum of 148 calories. All of these are readily available at the gas station convenience store. They make you walk through the candy aisle on the way to the rest room.

I know it is a stretch but while writing this blog a scripture verse came to mind. This may be the answer I have been seeking. Often I have read it but never with this application in mind. The psalmist David said: “How sweet are your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”




No comments:

Post a Comment