Monday, October 29, 2018

Hero


Hero

Several days ago, I read that one of my heroes was near death. I knew he was not doing well at the age of 85 but that his life was near the end was disconcerting to me. Even though I had never met him in person, his writings affected my life and ministry.

Last evening, I read that Eugene Peterson: pastor, theologian, biblical scholar and mentor had gone home to be with the Lord. According to his family, his final words were “Let’s go” and “Oh yea!” It was a sacred time as he was ushered into the presence of the Lord.

I don’t remember how I was introduced to his writings but once I started, I devoured all of them. The practical, pastoral insight into the workings of God’s Word into this man’s life was simply amazing. He spent thirty years as a local church pastor, baptizing, marrying and burying people. All the while translating the Bible from the original Hebrew and Greek into colloquial American English, so people could easily read and understand.

 His book Reversed Thunder, a study of the book of Revelation, took all the scary out of one of the most misunderstood books of the Bible. His autobiography, The Pastor, encouraged me to pay attention to the simple and mundane in the ministry of a pastor. Tell It Slant, Run with the Horses, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction and a score of others disciplined my mind and heart in the ways of God.

There is a You Tube video of a conversation between Eugene Peterson and Bono. That was an eye opener. A rock star who had been touched by The Message translation. Several people familiar with Bono’s concerts told me that he uses the Psalms in his concert.

Hero’s without baggage are a scarcity these days. If you aren’t an athlete, movie star or politician you don’t get much attention from the media. Every hero has clay feet. I am sure those close to Pastor Peterson could list his shortcomings. Yet, what makes a hero is a combination of warts and halos. I am sure Eugene had both.

Paul, the New Testament apostle, as he drew near the end of his life wrote to Timothy these words: “The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me: the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return.”

No comments:

Post a Comment