Monday, August 5, 2019

Seven Five


Seven Five

I am finding it hard to believe that I have been alive for three quarters of a century. That is a very long time. Lots of history has taken place. I was born when World War Two was waging and Franklin Delano Roosevelt was president. Radio and newspaper were the major forms of communication. Television had yet to become a part of household furniture.

Speaking of presidents, during my lifetime in addition to Roosevelt these men were presidents: Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump. That’s a lot of politics to live through. No wonder I have grey hair.

I passed my annual Wellness Check Up. That’s what they call it when you get old. My doctor said I am good for another year and/or ten thousand miles. With only minor aches and pains and some barnacles that are non-cancerous, I am in pretty good shape for the shape I am in.

Growing up I thought old was anyone over forty. Now my kids are in that age bracket I’ve had to adjust the age perimeters. I still walk about two miles a day (mostly up and down the halls of the hospital where I volunteer). I play golf poorly and ride my bike without a helmet. I figure that’s living on the edge. I’m most thankful that I am a healthy seven five year old (putting the “ty” in the equation makes me sound really old).

I am reminded of these words from the Book of Psalms: “You’ve limited our life span to a mere seventy years, yet some you give grace to live still longer.” I hope I am in the latter group.

Heading to eighty with vigor!





No comments:

Post a Comment