Monday, July 29, 2019

Quackers


Quackers

Not familiar with the name? Quackers has been my traveling companion for over twenty years. He has persevered through all kinds of weather: intense heat and freezing cold. He has endured my moods and monologues. He is the ideal companion who hears and sees all but utters not a word.

Quackers is one of the Beanie Babies Collection. My kids gave him to me as a gift to accompany me on my road trips. This was a time when I travelled a lot. I appreciated his company during those hours of windshield time. His silence was golden, but I knew he heard and understood my every word.

Quackers has aged a lot. He sits on the driver’s side of the dashboard of my 2007 ¾ ton Sierra GMC. That is where he sat on my three previous trucks and a half dozen automobiles. The sun has faded his once bright yellow fur. His beak and webbed feet are now a faded orange. His eyes are still deep black that give the impression that he is looking and listening attentively. He’s a little dusty but he’s still smiling.

Often when people ride in my truck, they ask about Quackers. I am happy to tell them the story of how my kids gave him to me. I also tell them that Quackers, besides being a great traveling companion, is a visible reminder of my kids love for me. It’s good to have that memory.

Recently, two of my grandkids gave me a gift of their own Quackers. Each was bright yellow fur, orange beak and webbed feet. One I keep as a spare in the truck and the other sits on my office desk.

Fearing to misuse Scripture, I think this one speaks of Quackers: “There are friends who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.”

Thanks, Quackers for being my friend!



No comments:

Post a Comment