Monday, December 23, 2019

Rejoice


Rejoice

One of the reasons I like the Christmas season is that Jesus gets lots of free publicity with the carols sung on radio, TV and in the mall. Paying attention to the words as well as the music, one can get the whole story about Jesus. For the past several weeks I have preached using the most popular carols. Which brings me to the point of this blog.

While preparing last Sunday’s sermon on O Come, Emmanuel, I had a flash from the past; a sure sign I am getting old. Fifty-five years ago, I am singing this carol in the seminary chapel. Dressed in cassock, surplice and biretta (a clergy hat not dissimilar from a Mickey Mouse hat) in a religious atmosphere filled with the fragrance of incense and the ringing of bells. I was a young seminarian preparing to be a priest, still wet behind the ears on clerical life. “Veni, veni, Emmanuel” sung in Gregorian chant as part of the Vesper service.

Much has happened in life since then: marriage, children and grandchildren, pastoring in two denominations, running a ski lodge and now pastor of a small congregation in Montana. Little did I dream the path the Lord had prepared for me. All I wanted that day in that chapel filled with young men like myself was to serve the Lord.

Interesting how the Lord takes you up on the desires of your heart. Looking back on the joys, disappointments, trials and blessings, I see how his hand directed my steps. I don’t want this to sound too religious. The truth is that for most of my journey, I wasn’t sure the Lord was directing my steps. There were times when I thought for sure he had forgotten all about me. O me of little faith. It was my grandmother who told me that hindsight is always twenty-twenty.

The truth is that  this Christmas like all the Christmas pasts is a reminder the Lord Jesus has come to dwell with us. The Bible says, “The Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood.” Rejoice!

A Blessed Christmas to all.







No comments:

Post a Comment