Monday, April 6, 2020

Nec Aspera Terrent


Nec Aspera Terrent

At the outset I want to apologize for using a foreign language title. Whenever I see a phrase in a different language, curiosity gets the better of me, especially Latin ones. This has to do with my ecclesiastical education which majored in an ancient language. Although it is obviously not my mother tongue, I enjoy the challenge of translation.

During this season of shelter in place, I am privileged ample amounts of time to read. My literary taste spans the spiritual to fiction with a strong emphasis on the latter. In one book I read the phrase nec aspera terrent. Immediately I consulted Google, my source for all things unknown. I was surprised to find this is commonly used as a military motto. I found the phrase in a commentary on the Old Testament book of Job. A timely read I must say.

The literal translation is do not be terrified by adversity. A blunter rendering is “difficulties be damned!” An appropriate word for the season. I do have a choice here. I can be caught up in the hysteria of what’s happening or what could happen to me and mine. Or I can direct my thinking and speaking to the positive. I am a firm believer that too much information about a situation in which I have limited ability to change leads me down the path of frustration. I choose life and let the difficulties be dammed.

Over the years I have found the Book of Proverbs to be a source of strength in time of need. I leave you with two verses to encourage you today:

If you fall to pieces in a crisis, there wasn’t much to you in the first place.

Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of adversity.

Now back to that novel!


No comments:

Post a Comment