Monday, April 27, 2020

Zoom


Zoom

I am a grey haired techie. I am proficient with iMac, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch. I sufficiently navigate around the Internet. Facebook, FaceTime, Amazon Prime and Netflix are mastered. My most recent conquest is online banking: no more standing in teller lines. I even ventured into the mysterious world of online grocery shopping.

My newest challenge is Zoom. I heard about it sometime ago but never paid much attention. What possible need would I have for it? Hearing that word reminded me of my comic book days when the balloon above the fast car was “zoom.” How about the hot breakfast cereal with the same name made by Krusteaz.

My learning curve with Zoom was steep at the outset of the pandemic. Everybody was talking about it. People asked if I could conference on Zoom. I had no idea what they were talking about. It didn’t take long to download the app and enter the  land of Zoom.

Since I am on furlough as a hospital chaplain because of age, my first exposure to Zoom was the weekly Spiritual Care Staff Meeting with fellow chaplains. Seeing other people in their natural habitat made me feel like I was some kind of Peeping Tom. The most uncomfortable part was seeing myself on the screen.

For the past month, we had church on Zoom. People are invited via text to join in. About two thirds of the church are tech savvy and able to zoom in. Interesting to see people outside their normal Sunday morning go-to-church clothes. Last Sunday we had one couple join us from the comfort of their bed. Another just got out of the shower and was sitting down for a first cup of coffee. One had to mute their speaker because the kids were yelling. Praise God from whom all blessing flow.

I am now a full-fledged member of zoom land. If I could just figure out some way to look better on the screen. I wonder if there is something wrong with my Mac. I know I look better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment