Monday, May 18, 2020

Fiftieth


Fiftieth

This week marks my fiftieth year of pastoral ministry. It doesn’t seem that long ago that I laid prostrate on the chancel floor of Cathedral in St. Paul with my classmates. After eight years of seminary training, I was about to be released for an adventure of a lifetime. Little did I realize where it would lead.

Looking back often affords 20-20 vision. My training didn’t adequately prepare me for where the Lord would take me. At times the journey was frightening. Walking away from all that I knew to venture into unknown territory was both invigorating and challenging. How I got this far can only be attributed to the grace of God.

 John Donne, an Anglican preacher and poet, several centuries ago penned the words “no man is an island.” A tangible expression of God’s grace are people who journeyed with me on the way. In anticipation of this ministry milestone I compiled a list of women and men who have contributed to my longevity. Some have gone on to be with the Lord while others have ventured off into other pursuits. Nonetheless all have contributed and for that I am most grateful.

There is a treasure of memories that now bring peace to the reality that there is more life behind me than ahead. Morbidity is not my companion but thankfulness for a life well lived is. That which lies ahead can only be an added blessing.

Two Scriptures come to mind as I close; both from the Book of Proverbs.

“We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it.”

“Trust in the Lord completely, and do not rely on your own opinions. With all your heart rely on him to guide you, and he will lead you in every decision you make.”

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment