Monday, May 11, 2020

No Doubt


 No Doubt

There is something you need to know about me. I lean towards being skeptical about some things. Easy answers, political promises, religious heavy breathing and snake oil salesmen. I must have inherited this from my father who had a sixth sense that could smell fake from a distance. I am a proponent of the “I am from  Missouri and you gotta show me.” Not a bad attribute for a pastor.

That doesn’t mean that I am not a believer. But my belief system is of a more organic nature. I like to probe and find out what lies behind things. When someone tells me that they are a “true believer” I tend to let my doubting side take the lead before I swallow hook, line and sinker.

I like the Bible story of Thomas, who after the death and resurrection of Jesus, was absent when Jesus appeared to the other disciples. Thomas wasn’t willing to take their word for it declaring that he would believe if he could see for himself. That happened the following week and Thomas believed. Unfortunately, Thomas gets a bad rap because he doubted. I think he was curious  and wanted to see with his own eyes.

Doubting is a necessary step to believing just as asking is an important step to receiving. For some strange reason, questioning what one believes is often seen as weakness. I find questioning refreshing. How can I grow if my mind and heart are in gridlock? There is nothing to fear by inquiring into that which I believe. Being teachable is at the heart of being a disciple of Jesus.

It is Jesus who reminds us “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened for you.”

No doubt this is true!






No comments:

Post a Comment