Monday, July 6, 2020

Coffee Mate


Coffee Mate

Nope! Not the flavored creamer added to a cup of coffee. I never use the stuff. I like my coffee straight from the pot nothing added. The coffee mate I refer to is the person you call up for a visit and a cup of coffee. With the abundance of coffee shops in town, it’s a shame not to take advantage of a “cuppa” and a friendly conversation.

Over the years I’ve had quite a few coffee mates. As I age, I seem to be losing them one by one. Recently a pastor friend died. It was less than two weeks we last got together. He was in good health and passed away napping in his chair at home. For the past sixteen years we would touch base periodically by meeting for coffee. Since we both pastored a long time, we could reminisce about our journey of caring for the flock. Much of our conversation reminded me of that auto insurance ad on TV “we’ve seen a lot, so we know a lot.”

Pastoring can be a lonely business. Having a friend to share the ups and downs of church attendance, offerings, and uninspired sermon topics helps morale. Two aging pastors sitting at a table in a café surrounded by college students only accentuated the fact that we were clerical dinosaurs.

I am missing my friend John. I know he is with the Lord. Not sure that they serve coffee and pastries there though. I remember my dad in his later years mention the fact that one of the down sides of getting old is losing friends. I guess I am beginning to feel my age in that way.

Some time ago I ran across this thought. In parting I leave it with you:

“Sometimes having coffee with your best friend is all the therapy you need.”

Rest in peace John.



No comments:

Post a Comment