Monday, July 13, 2020

Wellness


Wellness

I just got a call from my primary physician’s office. It’s time for my annual wellness checkup. Before the Affordable Care Act, it was called an annual physical. At least I got to keep my primary physician which used to be called my regular doctor. In setting up the appointment the nurse told me I would receive an envelope in the mail with instructions and a questionnaire.

Since I had gone through this procedure before, I kept an eye on the incoming snail mail. Excited to open and read the instructions, I was told when, where and how to appear for a lab test: no eating, no drinking and no smiling (only kidding). In past years they took enough blood to start a blood bank. Never quite sure why they need that much.

My favorite document is the “Health Risk Assessment.” This is a three page questionnaire that inquiries about my drinking, smoking and drug habits as well as some tricky questions about feeling bad about myself, thoughts about being better off dead and do I have trouble concentrating while watching television. Usually I don’t have trouble answering these questions but after seven months of a pandemic, social distancing, wearing a mask and overdosing on social media I had to lie and say I was fine.

By the time I get to the doctor’s office I am pretty hyped. I figure at my age, they could find almost anything wrong. Nice thing about the visit is that I don’t have to take my clothes off and have the doctor check out all the orifices. A blood pressure check and some “how have you been doing” and “see you again next year” is the conversation. My truck gets a better going over when I bring it in for an oil change.

Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate my doctor and the care provided me. At this stage of life as long as I can fill out all the forms and smile when he tells me I am good to go for another ten thousand miles or one year (whichever comes first), I am a happy camper.

I thank the Lord for good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment