Monday, September 21, 2020

By The Numbers

 

By The Numbers

 

Before you think I have finally gone off the deep end, I confess that there are some surprises left in life. During Covid-19 I have lots of time on my hands. Banned from volunteer chaplain work at the hospital because of age (grounds for a discrimination suit) and no travel to our network of churches, I needed a new challenge. After reading fifty books so far this year, I need something else.

 

It was my neighbor who introduced me to a new hobby: painting by numbers. Yes, I thought that was for kids. Little did I realize it’s a major pastime for adults.

When I Googled “paint by numbers” I was shocked by all the companies that sell  painting kits. What began as a way to sell more paint back in the 1950’s is now a major market for people who have time on their hands.

 

Here’s what I discovered. I knew that staying within the lines is a healthy discipline. Following directions, such as using the prescribed numbered paint to the matching number on the canvas eventually produces a beautiful piece of art. While painting my mind is free to wander without falling asleep. Having completed my first work, an up north cabin and lake scene, I’m amazed that I actually painted a picture.

 

Judy and my kids are very supportive with their kind compliments upon viewing my first masterpiece. One comment, “I didn’t realize you had an artistic side.” Neither did I. With that kind of encouragement there is no end to my budding  artistic ability.

 

I read on Google that it’s possible to have a photo of yourself transposed on to a paint by numbers canvas. While marveling at the technology, I don’t have the stamina to spend that much time looking at myself, let alone painting me. It’s hard enough facing myself in the mirror every morning.

 

Back to the numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment