Monday, September 14, 2020

Precious

 

Precious

 

Remember Gollum, the ugly hobbit in Lord of the Rings, grabbing hold of the ring and calling it “my precious.” Obviously, the ring had meaning. He wasn’t going to let go of it. What was precious to a fictional character may be a piece of jewelry to another. Precious is something of great value not to be wasted or treated carelessly.

 

My precious is three important choices I made in life. At the time I did not see them as precious. The choices one makes, simple or complex, freely or under duress, do alter your course. Some are good, some not so good, a few are precious.

 

First Precious: Early in life I chose to serve the Lord. It wasn’t something that was imposed upon me. It was the desire of my heart to follow God. I know this sounds a little religious but no different than someone choosing to be a doctor, engineer or policeman. I had no idea this choice would seriously alter my world. This choice introduced me to people, places and experiences that greatly enriched my life.

 

Second Precious: Marrying Judy and living forty five years with her has brought a richness that words can hardly describe. Opposites attract. The blending of graciousness, beauty, mercy and the gift of coloring outside the lines continues to stretch and mature me. Four wonderful children and seven grandchildren are frosting on the cake.

 

Third Precious: Montana is my home. Growing up in a large metro area gave me life opportunities. Montana gives me wide open spaces and a lifestyle that enlarges me. From the vast prairie of the Hi Line to the soaring mountain peaks of Bozeman, my spirit soars. Montana, wherever I roam, is a smorgasbord for my eyes. Montana is not just a place, it’s a state of mind that enriches my soul.

 

There is a precious yet to come. It’s written in the book of Psalms:

 

“The Lord’s loved ones are very precious to him, and he does not lightly let them die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment