Monday, October 5, 2020

Daily

 

Daily

 

COVID has thrown a wrench into my plans for 2020. I am not happy about it. Last February Judy and I were just about to make reservations for our often talked about European Riverboat trip. That along with our summer get together with our children and grandchildren at Sandpoint, Idaho cancelled. Plans to visit churches in our network cancelled. Twice weekly chaplaincy at local hospital cancelled. Lucky life itself wasn’t cancelled.

 

About the only thing not cancelled was my daily routine consisting of rising early (5am), walking the dog, Sunday church on Zoom (now social distancing in our building), lots of reading, extended happy hour, Netflix and Prime. Once in a while sneaking out to McDonalds drive thru for a burger and a shake. Options definitely narrowed.

 

However, I’m learning to live life on a daily basis. In fact, I been asking God to show me how to do this one day at a time. This means I don’t get stressed out about tomorrow while living today. So, I find myself enjoying the little things like watching the birds from the patio. They’re not worried as long as I make sure the feeders are full. Long walks with Daisy that I never took time for before now. Meaningful conversations with my wife that were overlooked in busyness.

 

I am reminded of these words of Jesus: “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.”

 

A little chorus we used to sing in church comes to mind. “Thank you, Lord, for this fine day. Thank you, Lord, for this fine day. Thank you, Lord, for this fine day right where we are.”

 

Wherever you are I pray you can rest in this fine day!

No comments:

Post a Comment