Monday, October 26, 2020

Table Talk

 

Table Talk

 

Placed in the middle of our living room is a round cocktail table. My mother bought it years ago in the damaged section of an expensive furniture store. It was given to me when my parents moved into a smaller home. Since then it has followed me back and forth from Minnesota to Montana several times. My son, Nick, restored it to mint condition.

 

Years ago, when Judy and were dating, I invited her to a party at my apartment. When she arrived, I was dancing on the top of the cocktail table. Seeing me there  was not a step forward in our courtship. Nonetheless she married me and along came the table.

 

A week ago, sitting in the living room during the first winter snowstorm, we  reminisced about life. We spent forty five years together. Memories of the ski lodge and the other places we lived reminded us that the table made the same journey.

 

 Our children learned to walk by hanging on to its edge. Almost all of our grandchildren did as well. It almost brought us to tears that right here before our eyes was an important piece of family history. We have grown older, the table remains the same.

 

Almost every holiday, birthday and anniversary is celebrated around this table. Loaded with food or presents it continues to serve us well as we gather together. Sitting in our living room that snowy evening I realized all that this table represented. If only a table could talk.

 

Rumor has it that there is negotiating going on as to who will inherit the round table. Wherever it ends up, it will be cherished. May it continue to be a family gathering place bringing joy to future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment