Monday, November 9, 2020

Onboarding

 

Onboarding

 

What? When I first heard the word I though someone was talking about getting on board a train or a plane. The word has to do with a new job. I haven’t applied for a “real” job in over forty years. Finally, I consulted Google. Onboarding is management jargon referring to the process through which new employees acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and behaviors in order to become effective organizational members.

 

A year ago, last July, I applied for a hospice chaplain position. After filling out the required documentation, I had an interview. For over a year I heard nothing. Then this past October I got a call asking if I was still interested in the position. No questions asked, I signed on.

 

The onboarding process was quite extensive. In addition to a security check and personal references, I was required to hand over lots more info. Once that was done, I began the official onboarding process: learning all that is necessary to be part of a hospice team. It is done through online tutorials. From the comfort of my home office I spend many hours staring at the computer.

 

I was introduced to a new world of Medicare and Medicaid regulations, hospice protocols and basic medical procedures for end of life patients. Although I have been around the sick and dying for many years, this was a major upgrade in  medical education. My physician father would be proud of me.

 

Now that I am onboarded, I can begin shadowing (following) RNs, social workers and fellow chaplains to get acquainted with all that hospice provides. This new job dovetails my hospital chaplain position. For those who fear I am chewing off too much for my age need not fear. In addition to pastoring a local church, I find chaplaincy challenging.

 

Besides, it confirms that fact that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment