Monday, November 2, 2020

One Book

 

One Book

 

I remember my father’s warning about the person of one book.  In fact, he strongly recommended that I be skeptical of any person who promotes only one point of view. I understood him to mean that for a person to be well educated you need to keep an open mind. His warning was an encouragement to be a discriminating reader.

 

However, I confess that I am a proponent of one book, the Bible. Before you hit the delete button on your reading devise, hear me out. The Bible is the handbook for living. It contains all that one needs to know about our relationship with God, with others and oneself. You may not agree but crack open the Good Book and read it. It’s the number one best seller of all time!

 

I hope this book review might prick your interest:

 

“ The Bible reveals the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, it’s decisions immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you and comfort to cheer you. It is a traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s character. Here paradise is restored, heavens opened, and the gates of hell disclosed. Christ is its grand object, our good is its design, the glory of God it’s end. It should fill your memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully. It is given in life, will be opened in the judgement and will be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor and will condemn all those who trifle with its sacred content.”  Author Unknown

 

A Sunday School tune says it all:

 

“The B-I-B-L-E, Yes that’s the book for me; I stand alone on the Word of God, the B-I-B-L-E.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment