Monday, March 9, 2015

The Queen


The Queen
No! Not the Queen of England. The Queen I want to introduce is a full-blooded English woman. She is British both in speech and manner. She immigrated to the States and became involved in Christian ministry. I met her at a pastor’s conference in mid 1980’s.
One evening, at that conference, she spoke on “You are As Young As You Will Ever Be.” The topic and person intrigued me. It may have been the accent that caught my attention but it was the person I was drawn to. I confess I have soft spot in my heart for the British, having travelled there often. Little did I know that the Queen would have such an impact on my life.
I don’t remember who first called her The Queen. She did not object and the title stuck. For many years, the Queen has been a guest speaker in our church bringing wisdom and encouragement of God’s Word. She has befriended our children, prayed for and counseled them through their growing up years. From my perspective, the Queen is one of the unsung heroes of the faith. She lives by faith trusting the Lord for provision and is a prayer warrior for those in need. She is no longer in public ministry because of age.
Looking back, I see that the Lord orchestrates relationships in a person’s life so that growth can take place. What the Queen brought into my life was the challenge to grow up. Her mantra is “free and whole in Christ Jesus.” As our friendship grew and trust established, the Queen spoke discipline and correction into my life. She has the gift to speak the truth in love in a way that exposes blind spots and wrong convictions.
Long-term friendships can be tricky. They need the special blend of patience, honesty and forgiveness. If cared for properly, they produce abundant fruit of maturity and grace. I am most blessed to have the Queen for my friend.
The Bible says: “At the time, discipline isn’t much fun. It always feels like it’s going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it’s the well trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God.”




No comments:

Post a Comment