Monday, June 22, 2015

Benedicamus Domino Part 2


Benedicamus Domino Part 2
 My years in the seminary were a challenge. For the first time in my life I had a goal. It was a long haul, eight years of study and discipline, neither of which I was good at. What made life easier were the relationships with men who were heading in the same direction.
As I look back to the time when I was a young man in search of my destiny, I remember with fondness those years of preparation. Time has muted my memories of insecurity and fear of whether I would make it all the way to my goal. What I do cherish are the friends I made along the way and the people who encouraged me to keep going.
What I have learned is that the road to the goal is not always a straight one. I had no idea that being ordained a priest was only the first part of a much longer journey. My youthful roadmap did not lay out the full journey that included ups and downs and a lot of turn arounds. I had no idea that I was on a journey far beyond anything I could image. I am grateful I did not know.
Well, now for that Latin phrase “Benedicamus Domino.” I first heard those words at 5am. It was my first morning at the minor seminary. Someone was out in the hallway ringing a noisy bell and screaming those words. In addition to scaring me, it was really annoying. When I opened the door, there stood before me a student holding a bell. I asked him what he was doing and he said it was our wake up call. He then told me I was to respond “Deo Gratias.” I had no idea what he was saying.
Once I had a little Latin 101 under my belt, I was able to translate these words. It was a Roman tradition, carried over to American seminaries, that every morning students are awakened to the sound of a bell and the words “Benedicamus Domino” (Let us bless the Lord). The proper response is “Deo Gratias” (Thanks be to God). Not a bad way to start the day minus the bell!




No comments:

Post a Comment