Monday, June 15, 2015

Benedicamus Domino


Benedicamus Domino
Wow! A little Latin is good for the soul. Not long ago, I can across this phrase in my reading. It immediately brought back a flood of memories. These memories took me back to 1962 right after graduation from high school. So here’s another story.
After graduation I was planning to attend one of the state colleges. I wanted to major in Spanish and Forestry, an interesting combination. Not having any summer plans, I signed up as a junior counselor at a Catholic Boy’s Camp in northern Minnesota. Little did I realize that this job would change the direction of my life.
I love the outdoors and northern Minnesota. I had spent my youth in Boy Scouts and Explorer Scouts. I was excited to spend the whole summer in the woods. I discovered that most of the camp counselors were men studying for the priesthood. They spent their summers working with young men. I was impacted by the way these men were friends with one another and how they shared their lives with those they worked with.
As the summer progressed, I sensed a stirring in my heart to forego my college plans and apply at the seminary. I wrote my parents explaining that I was seriously considering studying for the priesthood. They were surprised and somewhat skeptical of my decision. I wasn’t exactly an honor student and barely showed any sign of being religious.
When the summer job ended, I formally applied to the minor seminary to begin my college education. The rector (principal) of the seminary was direct in his interviewing me by saying that I probably would not make it through the school year. My high school grades and my apparent lack of religiousness were the telltale signs of a rough road ahead.
Although the academics were tough, I relished the atmosphere of community life with a specific goal of becoming a priest. The daily discipline of prayer and study took some getting used to. But I finally had a goal for my life.
Oh, the Benedicamus Domino? You have to check out next week’s blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment