Monday, June 29, 2015

My Pal Hal


My Pal Hal
I was sitting in the living room looking out the window keeping an eye on Sparky, our dog, doing his daily duty. All of a sudden I heard this roar of a motorcycle and saw it pull up onto the sidewalk. There it was, a big Harley with two people dressed in leathers, staring at my dog! They got off the bike and walked toward Sparky. It looked everything like a dog snatching. I wasn’t going to let bikers steal my dog! I ran out the door screaming, “Leave my dog alone.”
First impressions aren’t always the best. It wasn’t a dog kidnapping. The bikers were a married couple that lived down the street. Before they moved to Bozeman, they had a Sheltie that look a lot like Sparky. They often saw Sparky in the yard and this time decided to stop and visit. As we began visiting, I was still skeptical; two bikers interested in my dog? Really? Well, like I said what could I do but carry on a conversation with one eye on Sparky.
Looking back, I see how God uses creative circumstances to bring people together. This seemingly chance encounter of dog lovers birthed a friendship that has passed the test of time. Judy and I found out that we not only had dogs in common but a lot more. When Hal and Susan found out that I was a pastor, they decided to try out our church. Not all church people become good friends but this one has.
Hal is not only a good friend but also a confidant. We have travelled to Africa together on a mission trip experiencing what a third world country is really like. For the last six years we have partnered in mentoring a group of young men. Our teaming up, a pastor and an entrepreneur, has brought not only a rich friendship but has encouraged next generation leaders.
Hal, thank you for being my pal and you can come and visit our new Sheltie, Daisy Mae, anytime. The Bible says, “You use steel to sharper steel, and one friend sharpens another.”

No comments:

Post a Comment