Monday, July 17, 2017

Snollygoster


Snollygoster

I bet you never heard this word before. I hadn’t until I came across it in a biography of Harry S Truman, the 33rd President of the United States. Intrigued, I looked it up in the dictionary. A snollygoster is “a person, especially a politician who is guided by personal advantage rather than by consistent, respectable principles.” The word first appeared early in the 19th century to describe a person who is clever and unscrupulous.

Given the present political climate in our country, it wouldn’t take much for the finger pointers and name callers to add this word to the caustic rhetoric of the day. But I don’t think this word should be used exclusively by politicians. It’s much too good a word.

Raised with moral platitudes ringing in my ears, I remember phrases like “say what you mean and mean what you say” and “talk is cheap.” Our world of talking heads and social media 24/7 doesn’t allow for much reflection on words spoken. The fast pace of life events challenge us to keep up. Reflection and formulation of one’s own opinion seems to be a dying discipline.

It must be my philosophical training that wants to get behind the words and know something of the speaker’s character. Some years ago, the political climate changed when we were told that a person’s personal life had nothing to do with their public life. As if one were able to separate one’s words from one’s person. This sounds a lot like “do as I say not as I do.” No wonder the spoken word has lost credibility.

The Bible is full of life giving words. The Book of Proverbs has words that give life. Here is but one example: “You’ll find wisdom on the lips of a person of insight, but the shortsighted needs a slap in the face.” I am sure this in reference to a snollygoster!

No comments:

Post a Comment