Monday, July 24, 2017

Time


Time

When asked if I am available to do something, my usual response is that I have more time than money. That is the truth: I do have more time than money. However, I am getting older not only is money running out but time as well.

Time is one of those things that I have taken for granted. My work allows me quite a bit of unstructured time. Not having to an 8 to 5 job, I have the luxury of planning how to use my time. Looking back, I confess that there have been seasons when I was not a good steward.

Now, for some strange reason, the clock is running faster. The mornings quickly turn into evenings; days into weeks, months into seasons. Before I take notice, another year has gone by. Not only am I getting older but my kids and their kids are too. As the old saying goes “time stops for no one.”

A benefit that time does offer is perspective. Life experience over time allows one the opportunity to see life more clearly. The convictions and priorities of earlier years such as fame and fortune no longer hold my interest. Family and faith now take center stage as well as the desire to finish life well.  Funny how the sense of time running out changes our focus.

Lest the reader fear I am priming the pump to write my obituary, I am simply taking the opportunity to reflect on the importance of wise use of time that is left. No longer is time infinite. Just as there was a beginning, there is also an end.

I am reminded of the words of the Psalmist David: “But I trust in you, Lord. I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in your hands…Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love.”

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment