Monday, July 31, 2017

Decisions


Decisions

Did you ever hear the old joke about decision making? It goes like this: “Do you have a problem making a decision?” The answer, “Well, yes and no.” Almost unknowingly, we make lots of decisions every day. Most are mundane and repetitive but none the less decisions. Every once in a while, a big decision come along; buying a car or where to go for vacation. It’s the really big ones that test our ability to make good decisions: who to marry, a job change or even a geographic move.

The best way I know to make good decisions is by learning from the bad ones. Thankfully, those poor choices that I have had to live with were not life altering. It only takes a lemon car purchase to make me a lot smarter in shopping for the next one. Gathering the facts and asking for counsel are essential to making good decisions.

Here’s a quote that recently appeared on my Facebook page: “Be decisive. Right or wrong make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn’t make a decision.” Hopefully the unknown author wasn’t suffering from indecision himself.

Over the years I have used three questions in making major decisions. First, is this a good opportunity? Two, does it violate the Scriptures or my conscience? Third, do I have peace in doing it? When I have the answer to those questions, I can confidently make a good decision.

Decision making is a human endeavor. Animals function by instinct. God created us with a mind and a will to make choices. Hopefully as we mature our ability to make quality decisions will enhance our lives. I like these words of Jesus, “Say just a simple ‘Yes, I will’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Your word is enough.”

Now that’s a good decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment