Monday, July 22, 2019

Grey Hair


Grey Hair

Last week I went to the barber. Not the fancy, expensive ones that cost a lot of money. I like the quick in and out generic barber shop chain where no question is asked except how I want my cut. Where I go, they give you a number for the kind of haircut. Mine is one and a half: short on the sides and a hair longer on top.

Sitting in that chair with my hearing aids out and my glasses off, I kind of float off to another world for all of ten minutes. This time I glanced at my cut hair falling to the floor. My goodness, it looked like it was snowing. Was that really my hair? What happened to the lush brown crop I used to have? Putting my glasses back on I was shocked to see nothing but white on top and not much of that.

I have friends who are going through change of life hair color. Some spend time and money tinting out the grey. Some cover up their aging scalp with a toupee. Some say the heck with it and shave it all leaving a bowling ball effect. Some try a comb over of what they have. The rest of us just sigh and accept another component of the aging process.

When I got home, I took a good look in the bathroom mirror. I had to look twice. Not only was my hair almost totally white but there were other noticeable signs of  aging. I didn’t know which was scarier. Nobody noticed I got a haircut. Nobody remarked on how handsome I was with the new cut. Am I the only one that cares about the change?

I don’t want to sound vain. Thank goodness I don’t have to look at myself that often. I confess it is a little disconcerting to see that old is starting to show. This morning while reading the Book of Proverbs I read this: “Grey hair is a mark of distinction, the award of a God-loyal life.”

 I think I need to take another look in the mirror and thank the Lord for what hair I do have!

No comments:

Post a Comment