Monday, November 25, 2019

Forgive


Forgive

A wonderful idea but not easy to do. The very word conjures up emotions that are hard to keep under wraps. Even though “to forgive” is a fundamental precept of the Christian faith, the practical implications can be terrifying to anyone who has been deeply hurt by the actions or words of another.

When Jesus was asked by his disciples to teach them how to pray, part of his answer was “… forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Did Jesus really mean that in order for us to be forgiven we must be willing to forgive others? I often find myself sliding over that part of the Lord’s Prayer.

To forgive means I am willing to release any claim on the person who has hurt me.
Any grudge, revenge, or ill will of any kind is thrown in the waste bin. I freely let go of that pain so that Jesus can release me from all the hurts and offenses I caused others. How is that possible? By an act of my will, my saying yes to God,  I release all claim on that person. Sometimes I have to say it over and over until I finally release it.

The reason forgiveness is important is that in order to be thankful, I must  forgive. I cannot harbor a hard heart and give thanks.  The Bible says “…in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” My willingness to forgive is the doorway to a thankful heart. Without it there is no thanksgiving.

 This week is set aside to give thanks. As we celebrate the season, let us do so with a clean heart. “Be kind to one another, tender hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment