Monday, November 11, 2019

Ninety Three Percent


Ninety Three Percent

Opinion polls and statistics are a turn off for me. Whenever I hear someone quote them my mind goes into rejection mode. The news is full of numbers. If not the figures for candidates running for political office, it’s the stock market report or the latest on the national debt. I have not been good at numbers.

There is one exception. Recently I came across a statistic that caught my eye. Believe it or not I read it on Facebook where a blogger quoted from a survey taken from the Christian periodical Leadership Journal. Paraphrasing the article, it said that when a dad comes into a personal relationship with Jesus there is a 93% chance the rest of the family will follow his lead.

Unfortunately, we live in a culture that demeans the role of fathers. Rarely, do I find dads portrayed as healthy leaders of their families. It is no secret that with the breakdown of marriages, men assume a secondary role in the raising of children. God gave fathers the responsibility of modeling the character and care He gives to all humanity.

I remember my own father who was often absent from my growing up years because of his work. Although he, like all dads, had shortcomings, I believe he modeled the love and care of our Heavenly Father. He worked hard to make sure we had a roof over our head, food on the table and clothes on our back. This came from his conviction that God is important in family life.

It is the responsibility of fathers to care for and train their children. This is done as much by example as by words. No one can do it alone. He needs that relationship with Jesus to show the way. I am reminded of these words from the Bible: “Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

Come on dads, let’s make it 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment