Monday, November 4, 2019

Snowblower


Snowblower

I grew up in a climate with four seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. Winter being the longest. I remember when snow was piled up to the top of our garage door. Of course, this was way before global warming/climate change. That is how I learned how to shovel snow.

Years later came the invention of the snowblower. We didn’t have one, but our neighbor did. Laboring through a large drift with my shovel, I watched the man next door shoot snow geysers in the air with his gas powered snowblower. It took him little time or effort to demolish those drifts.

I bought my first snowblower from Sears. It was an extravagant purchase. I felt it was a justifiable expense because my kids had grown up and left home. I was left with the snow shovel and a long driveway. What a joy it was to fire up that Briggs and Stratton engine and let the machine do the work.

Montana gets lots of snow. One day while shoveling the church sidewalks the light bulb went on. Why was I doing this by hand? After a few phone calls to the elders, I drove down to the local hardware store and bought a Toro snowblower. Now my winter work was a lot easier.

This past September my son Nick and family moved from Bozeman to Portland, Oregon. You doesn’t need a snowblower in Portland. So, as a parting gift he gave me his Toro 21 inch, four cycle snowblower with an electric start. What more can an aging snow shoveler want?

Never mind that our homeowner’s association hires a snow removal company to clear my driveway and sidewalk. I like to get out there first thing after a storm and put my snowblower to work. My neighbors think I am a little compulsive if not crazy. Now that I got a great machine, I can let the shovel rest.

It looks like we are in for a long winter here in Bozeman. Already we have eight inches of the white stuff on the ground and its only early November. I am prepared so “let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.”



No comments:

Post a Comment